Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Cloyde Wood Anderton
Apr 14, 2014 | 1382 views | 0 0 comments | 22 22 recommendations | email to a friend | print


Cloyde Wood Anderton (93) died at the University of Utah Medical Center in Salt Lake City, Utah, on Friday, April 11, 2014. Cloyde was born on May 25, 1920, in Monroe, Utah to parents Cloyde Anderton and Gertrude Sophia Wood. He was the oldest of six children – three girls and three boys.

He is survived by his daughters Karen, Bountiful and Lea Dawn Davidson (John), Tucson, Arizona; his sons Robert (Shauna), West Jordan and David (Beth) Austin, Texas; seven grandchildren, twelve great-grandchildren and one great-great-grandchild. He is also survived by his brothers Lynn and Wilmer and his sisters Fae Perkins and Louise Hartle. He was preceded in death by his wife Dale and his Sister Stella.

Cloyde and Dale were married in the Manti Temple on March 29, 1940. Over the years, they lived in Richfield, Glendale, California; Beaver, Twins Falls, Idaho; Salt Lake City, and for nearly 58 years Bountiful.

Cloyde was fascinated from an early age with aviation and engineering. His Mother returned home one day to find her brand new player piano playing itself without a soul around. As a young child, Cloyde had connected his mother’s vacuum cleaner exhaust to the piano to provide the motive power. Around the same time, Cloyde became interested in radio. He melted lead sulfide powder to smelt his own Galena crystals for use in a crystal radio set. During his high school years in Richfield, he worked as the projectionist for both theaters in town. He later worked for Forsey’s Distributing and enjoyed some rare experiences making deliveries in Central and Southern Utah. He enjoyed staying at Ruby’s Inn when he was in that area. In 1940 he moved to Southern California and was employed by Lockheed Aircraft. He was working a shift at Lockheed on December 7, 1941.

On his return to Utah he worked for the Telluride Power Company in Beaver. His first job in broadcast radio was with KTFI in Twin Falls, Idaho. In 1945, Cloyde, Dale and eldest daughter Karen moved to Salt Lake City to work for George Hatch and was one of the original engineers that helped KALL Radio get on the air. After working at KALL for eleven years he transitioned from broadcast radio to television. He worked for KSL Television for 33 years retiring as Chief Transmission Engineer. KSL pressed him back into service for one day in 2009 to turn off forever their analog transmitter when they switched over to the new high definition format.

Cloyde was a ham radio operator (call sign K7LBB). He belonged to the ARRL, IEEE, Sons of the Utah Pioneers and Sertoma.

Cloyde was a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and faithfully served in various callings over his lifetime. He was also very active in genealogy and temple work. He and his wife Dale served a one-year Mission as locators at Church Headquarters in Salt Lake City.

Funeral services were held on Monday, April 14, at 12 noon in the Bountiful 45th Ward Chapel, 115 East Wicker Lane. There was a viewing at the chapel from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. prior to the funeral service. Burial was in the Bountiful City Cemetery at the direction of the Russon Brothers Mortuary. An on-line guest book can be found at

The family would like to express their appreciation to the doctors and staff at Lakeview Hospital in Bountiful and the University of Utah Medical Center for their care and concern in the final days of our father’s life.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Postings are not edited and are the responsibility of the author. You agree not to post comments that are abusive, threatening or obscene. Postings may be removed at the discretion of
Follow us on: