Just before 4 a.m. Layton fire crews were called to the home in Lakeview Estates, 2600 N. Hill Field Road, where the fire was blazing.
The residents, two men and two children, ages 2 and 4 years old, evacuated the home, along with the family's dog. A pet iguna was also later found alive, according to Layton City fire officials.
One of the residents woke to the smell of smoke, walked through the house and found flames coming from the back, according to Layton Fire Department spokesman Doug Bitton.
The fire began in the laundry room, where investigators found clothing had accumulated on the backside of the dryer, blocking air flow. The kitchen and laundry room were damaged in the blaze, with smoke and water damage throughout the home.
The family is staying with relatives.