Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Historic painting donated to museum
Jul 12, 2013 | 1944 views | 0 0 comments | 13 13 recommendations | email to a friend | print
THE GOFF DOWDING PAINTING of the Bountiful Tabernacle is presented to members of the Bountiful Historical Preservation Foundation by Carolyn Lamb Newman, widow of Frank Newman. He had the painting
commissioned for the Centennial Celebration of
Bountiful in 1992. From left: Randy Goodrich,
Carolyn Newman, Tom Tolman, Sandy Inman,
Lloyd Carr, Elaine Holbrook and Dean Collinwood.
Courtesy photo
THE GOFF DOWDING PAINTING of the Bountiful Tabernacle is presented to members of the Bountiful Historical Preservation Foundation by Carolyn Lamb Newman, widow of Frank Newman. He had the painting commissioned for the Centennial Celebration of Bountiful in 1992. From left: Randy Goodrich, Carolyn Newman, Tom Tolman, Sandy Inman, Lloyd Carr, Elaine Holbrook and Dean Collinwood. Courtesy photo
slideshow

BY TOM TOLMAN

Bountiful City Councilman, Bountiful Historical Preservation Foundation.

 

BOUNTIFUL - This year we celebrate the Sesquicentennial of the dedication of the Bountiful Tabernacle.

During the Centennial Celebration of the incorporation of Bountiful in 1992, Frank Newman, CEO and president of the former Utah Bank & Trust, commissioned a local Bountiful artist, Goff Dowding, to paint a picture depicting the dedication of the Bountiful Tabernacle.

The building has become a landmark of downtown Bountiful since it was built and dedicated 150 years ago.

The painting was used as the back cover of the Centennial Souvenir Magazine, published in 1992. Newman has had the painting in his collection since that time and, after his death, it became the property of his widow Carolyn.

She thought it was important for others to see the original masterpiece of this Bountiful treasure and has donated it to our Bountiful Museum to be hung in the displays about the Bountiful Tabernacle. 

The painting will be on display at the Bountiful Tabernacle along with other rare and historical artifacts and photos during a special open house and tours taking place on Saturday, July 20 in celebration of the dedication 150 years ago on March 14, 1863.

The tours begin at 9:30 a.m. and last about one hour. They include a short DVD on the history of this beautiful edifice as well as an organ recital. There will be five tours, scheduled an hour apart, starting at 9:30 a.m. The last tour will be at 1:30 p.m. 

This will be a unique opportunity for the people of Bountiful and surrounding areas to learn of this historical meeting house, which is the oldest chapel in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that has been in continuous operation since it was built and dedicated in 1863.

 
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Postings are not edited and are the responsibility of the author. You agree not to post comments that are abusive, threatening or obscene. Postings may be removed at the discretion of davisclipper.com
Follow us on: