LAYTON — A woman who dropped a lit cigarette into a garbage can in her mobile home here Monday night is lucky to be alive.
In addition to the danger from flames, there was an oxygen concentrator in the room.
Layton City fire crews were called to a scene of black smoke coming from the mobile home in the Rolling Hills Estate, 2900 N. Hill Field Road at about 9:30 p.m., said Doug Bitton, public information officer wit the Layton Fire Department.
A neighbor smelled smoke and saw the elderly woman trying to get down the front steps of the mobile home, Bitton said. The neighbor helped the woman get away from the house about the same time the bedroom window blew out and fire crews arrived.
The woman told investigators that a lit portion of the homemade cigarette she was smoking dropped into the garbage can, started to smolder and produce some flames.. The woman was took off her oxygen nose piece and leave the room.
Twenty-one firefighters took about 10 minutes to extinguish the fire, which was mainly contained to the front bedroom. The fire also destroyed the oxygen concentrator, but it did not explode, Bitton said.
“She was really lucky and made a quick action to exit the room,” Bitton said. “All oxygen cylinders and concentrators for medical use have warning labels warning against smoking near them or while the units are in use.
The fire caused an estimated $35,000 in damage.