Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Construction workers save woman from blaze
May 23, 2013 | 440 views | 0 0 comments | 6 6 recommendations | email to a friend | print

SYRACUSE — A fire in a Syracuse home has been determined to be accidental but undetermined. 

Fire crews got a call of a fire at 2904 S. 2000 West, on Wednesday at 2:57 p.m., according to Syracuse Deputy Fire Chief Jo Hamblin.

“We had a quick response. We were there in three minutes,” he said.

By 4:30 p.m., the fire was under control, but crews were still working on some smoldering areas.

The home’s owner, Shirley Moss, was home alone when she heard a pop and went outside to investigate, Hamblin said. She couldn’t find anything wrong, so she went back in the house and laid down on the couch.

Contractors working on the road in front of the house could smell smoke, then noticed smoke coming from the house. They entered the house and woke Moss, getting her and the family dog out of the house.

“The construction workers are the true heroes,” Hamblin said. “They took the initiative and stepped up to take care of the situation.”

Fire officials gave a rough estimate of $275,000 in damage to the home and belongings. The fire started in the attic, but Hamblin said firefighters don’t know the exact cause.

The family plans to stay with relatives in the area, Hamblin said.

mwilliams@davisclipper.com

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Postings are not edited and are the responsibility of the author. You agree not to post comments that are abusive, threatening or obscene. Postings may be removed at the discretion of davisclipper.com
Follow us on: