Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Iris Kemp Rogers
Mar 12, 2013 | 1723 views | 0 0 comments | 5 5 recommendations | email to a friend | print


Iris was born February 18, 1918 in the Kemp family home in North Logan, Cache County, Utah. She was the daughter of John Henry and Annie Eliza Hyer Kemp. She was a graduate of South Cache High School and Utah State University - where she graduated with a BS in Home Economic. Afterwards she pursued advanced studies at Cornell University in New York City. She then accepted a teaching position in Snow Flake, Arizona where she met her cowboy and husband to be. The start of World War II interrupted the romance when Grant Potter Rogers enlisted in the Marine Corp. They were eventually able to sneak off to Yuma, Arizona to be married. The marriage was later solemnized in the Mesa, Arizona Temple. Iris worked in the defense plant in San Diego, California making torpedoes while Grant was in action at Guadalcanal and Tarawa. After the war she again taught Junior High while Grant attended USU. After graduation he was employed by the Bureau of Land Management. They lived in Craig and Canon City, Colorado; Malta, Montana; Saint George and Santa Clara, Utah; Sparks, Nevada; and then in 1961 the family moved to Bountiful. They expected to only stay a few years as with other locations but this was to be home to Iris for the next 52 years — 28 of which were after the death of her husband Grant.

During the early years the family increased with two boys and one girl. Iris is survived by Chase N. Rogers, Scott J. Rogers and Karen C. Rogers Penera along with 15 grandchildren and 30 great-grand children. Besides her being a terrific mother, her service within the LDS Church included being both ward and district Primary President. She served on stake boards for Primary, Relief Society and genealogy. At the ward level she taught Primary, Relief Society, Young Women and Cub Scouts. Later she and her husband served an LDS mission in Peru. After Grant’s death in 1985, she enjoyed working in her yard and became an ardent Jazz basketball fan. Perhaps if the Jazz were having a better season this year she might have stuck around a month or two longer.

The family gives special thanks to all her gracious neighbors who looked in on and assisted her so that she could stay in her home until her passing on March 7, 2013.
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Postings are not edited and are the responsibility of the author. You agree not to post comments that are abusive, threatening or obscene. Postings may be removed at the discretion of
Follow us on: