All types of birdhouses are welcome: whimsical, beautiful, practical, functional, artistic or magical – but they need to be sturdy! The Nature Center encourages the use of natural, reclaimed and recycled materials. Please consider the environment when choosing your materials and finishes. Working as a family or as a team, i.e., grandfather/grandson etc., is acceptable and encouraged! Several cash prizes will be awarded for various categories.
A select jury of professional artists and bird experts will judge the competition and choose birdhouses for exhibit along Birdhouse Trail. Birdhouses chosen for the exhibit will be on display April 12 through August 31, 2012. Thousands of visitors marvel at the birdhouses all year long, and birds take up residency in the houses every spring!
• All birdhouses must be original works created by the exhibitor. Commercially produced birdhouses or assembled kits will not be accepted.
• Size limitations: The base of the birdhouse may not exceed 24" square. The height of the birdhouse may not exceed 36" tall.
• All birdhouses must be freestanding and ready for installation outdoors. Birdhouses that are not freestanding will not be accepted for the exhibit. You must perch your birdhouse atop a sturdy post or attach a strong hanger. Posts will be installed at a depth of 1-2 feet.
• The Nature Center encourages the use of natural, reclaimed and recycled materials. Please consider the environment when choosing your materials and finishes. Please, no propane tanks this year.
• Please build sturdy birdhouses. Birdhouses need to last through all seasons outdoors.
• The event judges will select which birdhouses are accepted into the 2012 exhibit. A limited number of entries will be accepted for the exhibit.
• The Ogden Nature Center reserves the right to refuse submissions.
Winners in both adult and child categories will receive cash prizes at a reception and awards presentation on Wednesday, April 11 at 5:30 p.m.
This exhibit would not be possible without its main sponsors: the Utah Arts Council and the National Endowment for the Arts.
Registration forms and full details are available online at http://www.ogdennaturecenter.org/birdhouse or at the visitor services desk at the Ogden Nature Center, 966 W. 12th Street, Ogden, UT 84404. For more information, please call the Ogden Nature Center at 801-621-7595.