Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Wildcats win wild game over Vikings
by Ben White
Dec 15, 2011 | 4260 views | 0 0 comments | 31 31 recommendations | email to a friend | print
woods cross’ sean Barton blocks a shot attempt from Aaron Hewlett. Barton finished with five points as the Wildcats beat Viewmont Tuesday.
woods cross’ sean Barton blocks a shot attempt from Aaron Hewlett. Barton finished with five points as the Wildcats beat Viewmont Tuesday.
WOODS CROSS — Sometimes in basketball, a team catches fire and can’t be stopped. Insurmountable leads are erased and impossible situations become possible.

That is how it was for the Viewmont Vikings and Woods Cross Wildcats on Tuesday night. The Wildcats won 57-48 in the battle between these south Davis County rivals.

Each team had its share of big runs, but ultimately the Wildcats were able to come out on top.

Woods Cross, particularly Brady Cowley, came out on fire. Cowley nailed three 3-pointers to give the Wildcats a 9-0 lead early in the game.

But the experienced Vikings maintained their composure. Brody Bagshaw scored off a missed shot and then hit a 3-pointer moments later, tying the score at 10.

In the second quarter, it was the Vikings turn to go on a run. With the game tied at 18, Haden Heath and Jarom Tye scored seven unanswered points to give the Vikings a 25-18 lead. By halftime, they had increased their lead to 33-23.

“We got a little lethargic in the second quarter,” said Woods Cross coach Todd Street. “We couldn’t seem to make a shot and they were making their (shots).”

Despite the 10 point deficit, the Wildcats refused to quit. As they had done at the beginning of the game, they found a way to make a run coming out of halftime.

Sean Barton got things started with a reverse lay up. Filipo Mokofisi followed that up with a bucket of his own. Mike Jacobson took a turn next, scoring seven straight points, followed by Skyler Farnes hitting a 3-pointer.

When Barton converted a layup, the Wildcats had turned a 33-23 deficit into a 39-33 lead.

“I challenged the guys at halftime,” said Street. “I wanted them to win this game for our fans on our home court.”

From there, it was a back and forth battle. Going into the fourth quarter, the Wildcats had extended the lead to eight points at 47-39.

Viewmont was not ready to roll over and die just yet. Tanner Gamble and McKay Richins each scored a quick bucket, followed by Bagshaw converting on one of two free throws, and the Vikings had some life and momentum, trailing 47-44.

Mokofisi answered for the Wildcats by scoring four straight points.

The play of the game happened a few minutes later. Trailing by five, a Viewmont player took a shot from beyond the arc, only to have it blocked by Mokofisi. This started a fast break for the Wildcats, ending with Skyler Farnes bringing the house down by making a lay up to finish.

From that point on, the Wildcats remained in control.

“We battled the entire game,” said Street. “We did what we needed to do at critical times.”

Cowley led a balanced Wildcat attack with 16 points. Farnes chipped in 11 while Mokofisi had nine points and Jacobson had eight points in the win.

Heath led Viewmont with 12 points. Gamble threw in 10 points and Bagshaw added eight in the loss.

With the win, the Wildcats improve to 3-2 on the season. They now begin a four game stretch of road games. They head down to Taylorsville Friday night to take on the 0-4 Warriors, who have been blown out in each game they have played.

The Vikings drop to 1-4 and will look to rebound tomorrow night when they head north to take on former Region 1 foe Clearfield. The Falcons have also struggled this year, as they currently sit at 1-5.
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Postings are not edited and are the responsibility of the author. You agree not to post comments that are abusive, threatening or obscene. Postings may be removed at the discretion of
Follow us on: