When paired with an 8-ounce glass of milk and 1/2 cup of blueberries, this morning meal is a great way to start the day off right.
Makes 4 servings
• 1/2 cup (4 ounces) chicken apple sausage, diced
• 1/4 cup onion, diced
• 1/4 cup red pepper, diced
• 1/4 cup sweet potato, diced
• 4 eggs
• 2 tablespoons lowfat or fat free milk
• 1/2 cup fresh spinach leaves, chopped
•Salt and pepper
• 2 whole wheat English muffins, split, toasted
Coat nonstick skillet with nonstick spray; heat over medium. Add sausage, onion, red pepper, and sweet potato and cook, covered, stirring often, until vegetables are tender (test a chunk of sweet potato to be sure).
Meanwhile, beat eggs with milk in small bowl until blended. When vegetables are tender, transfer them to a plate. Return skillet to burner, add egg mixture and cook, stirring often, until eggs are softly scrambled.
Off heat, stir in spinach, reserved sausage mixture, salt, and pepper.
Serve immediately with toasted English muffin half.